Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Happy Birthday to me...

Yeah, that’s right, the 8th of December. Oh, you didn’t know? Well now you do. Don’t forget it.

Sooo yeah, my 23rd birthday was definitely a unique one. I mean, not that anything super crazy or spectacular happened. It was just… well, a birthday in Kazakhstan. So here’s how it went down: It was pretty much like any other day here in Krasney Yar, except that my Babooshka was up before I left so she could give me the sock/slippers she had knitted me. She even knew how to sing Happy Birthday in English. How cute is that? So that made me happy (and my feet warm). And then it was off to school, where I was stopped by many teachers who wished me a happy birthday, including the Home Ec teacher who gave me two pot holders made in her class. They make me smile. Then it was on to teaching the 6 classes scheduled for the day. During my 5th grade class, where I was teaching the sentence “I am happy”, one of the vice principals came in and gave me a card from the teachers, and my class was shocked that I hadn’t told them before that it was my birthday. Anyway, the next time I said “I am happy” a couple of the kids said (in Russian) “Because it’s your birthday!” True. Cute. After more classes and teaching and yadda yadda, I went with the 2 other English teachers to buy cake and food which we brought back to my counterparts apartment. We got everything ready and 3 other teachers came over and we ate and I tried my best to keep up with their conversation. And then it was back home, where I relaxed by playing Plants vs. Zombies (don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!), had Monty for dinner (I don’t know how to spell it in English, but it’s a super tasty dish!) and that’s about it! Pretty good day, despite the fact that it was something like -27* Celsius outside (that’s about, -16* Fahrenheit, in case you were wondering). But not to worry, my Highquass coat continues to keep me warm, and the other English teachers bought me a really nice warm scarf and matching mittens, and the other 3 teachers gave me some ultra-warm tights and another pair of mittens – all of which will come in handy!

A little cultural side note: Typically in Kazakhstan, other people don’t “do” your birthday for you. By that I mean that in America, when it’s your birthday, it’s kind of an excuse to take it easy. Someone else cooks dinner or you go out and someone else buys… it’s nice. Here, though, the birthday person (although I have the suspicion that this probably only applies to women, now that I think of it) buys everything, cooks everything for the guests, and has to clean everything up. So, your birthday is more work than usual. I think that’s one cultural quirk I’ll leave behind when I return to America!
And finally, some pictures! Thanks to my mom, dad, and grandma, I can now return to pictorially documenting my life in Kazakhstan. So here are some pictures of the hike to the waterfall – the day I broke my first camera – and some snapshots of my house here in the village, and a couple of shots of the view from my classroom. So beautiful….ahem… right. Enjoy! (Sorry they're kind of in random order, but I think you can figure it out)













Plus! Bonus pictures! More gems from the tags of the tights and gloves I got for my birthday. Please, tell me why Natasha is wearing these ultra-warm tights, but aside from that furry vest, is basically naked. That’s not helpful in -30* weather. Silly Natasha. And the gloves I got, I’ll bet you didn’t know they were invented yet, but they’re actually… Futrue gloves!! That’s right, I own a pair of magic gloves. Magic futrue gloves. I couldn’t be happier.


5 comments:

Penny Morrison said...

Is that a picture of Roger Federer on your door? Yeah, I thought so!

Jeffrey Morrison said...

1st....I saw tennis while I was eating at a bakery the other day and thought of you.....now that mom mentioned it. and 2nd, did you tell the home ec teacher you don´t smoke pot? ....I thought it was funny....

One and Jenny Taumoepeau said...

Holly. I can't believe you are in freaking Kazakhstan. Oh and I knew it was your birthday this month... That is why you are named Holly! Ha ha. How funny!

Holly said...

Yes, I love that picture of Roger. He keeps me motivated everyday. It's like "Yeah! I'm freaking freezing! Yeah! Woo! Yeah!" And then everything is right in the world.

And Jeffrey - It took me like, 5 hours to get that joke. Literally. I had forgotten what I wrote about it and when I was in bed falling asleep and - I got it. I felt really stupid. Hahaha....

Aames said...

Ha ha - Jeff. Funny.

I like the Roger pic too, but I don't think it would be motivating enough in that cold weather. That's too much Holly. C'mon. Stop it already.