But first - Breaking news!
I have an address! Send me something!
Holly Morrison, PCV
PO Box 253
Kokshetau, 020000
Republic of Kazakhstan
I know, almost seems too easy, right?
Just in case you actually decide to go all out and send a package (and please do!) here is a short list of ideas for things you may consider including. These are in no particular order. :)
- Anything from Bath and Body Works (I particularly like Amber Romance. Just throwin’ it out there), or just good smelling products that will get me clean and smooth!
- School supplies – anything Crayola – or any random/cheap stuff that might be fun little prizes for students
- Keychains, postcards, magnets, etc. from your city – touristy stuff. They make good gifts here.
- Music! Anything you think I definitely don’t have (I know I’ve only been gone 3 months so far, but music changes fast!), might not have, have and need to listen to again… whatever. I want it. And I don’t care how you get it to me; CD, DVD, MP3, flash, I take ‘em all!
- Same goes for movies. I know I brought a ton with me, but if there’s something really good that’s come out recently, and it’s on sale at Wal*Mart…I’m just sayin’.
- Tasty food. Anything cheesy, chocolaty, or peanut buttery.
And on with the show…
First, I got a new coat.

Ooo, from the Highquass Collection? Yes, please!
That’s right, according to the tag on my Chinese-made coat, which came complete with a “Prestige card”, I am in good hands. Here’s what it says:
“Our company is long-term to insist strict quantity management with The good after-sales combiones together of operate the aim. Living Producer “sturgeon” the card clothing famous whole country is each big Market.suffer consumer applause and favors widely. Ensure the consumer benefit is our company persistent Conviction with promise.our company practice to track after selling completely The customer who serve the product empress makes the choice of purchase our company.if the detection saves In the quantity problem. can after purchasing on seventh inside hold this Card and purchase the original kind and our company or native business agent contact The department transposes.”
Direct quote – strange punctuation and all. Ok so… WHAT?! Whatever, it keeps me warm, so I’m happy.
Also, I bought an awesome red fur hat. No, seriously. It’s amazing. I mean, if I saw someone walking down the street wearing this hat I would think “Wow, she’s awesome. I wish I could pull off something like that.” But you know what – I can! Cause I’m in Kazakhstan!

And you can’t see it there, but you better believe there’s a little bling hiding back there. Boo yeah.
Do I look like I’ve gained weight to you? How could that be? I mean, all I eat is carbs…
Speaking of Wal*Mart – it was somewhere up there – there’s a big, blue, German bus (most buses here are German or Italian) that passes through my village, and on the side of it in big bold letters – WAL*MART Supercenter! I was talking with my counterpart and stopped mid-sentence when I saw it. I must have looked like a kid on Christmas morning. She didn’t exactly understand the infatuation with this bus that consumed me right then. I explained to her what Wal*Mart was and why it was so great (I know, I know – not everyone agrees on this but trust me, even if you’re a Wal*Mart hater, you’d be wishing you had one if you lived in Kazakhstan!), but I don’t think she’ll ever fully understand. Anyway, I saw it again today on my way to school and was once again very happy. Granted it’s surrounded by German words, but it’s still nice to see a little something genuinely American every now and then.
As for life in Krasney Yar… there’s not too much to tell from this past week. I went to school, I taught, I went home, I struggled with Russian, I slept… and repeat. But everything’s going well! I got together with some friends this weekend and we made Mexican food – yay for something besides potatoes, bread and pasta! That was nice. Umm… I did some laundry. And… enjoyed yet another crazy-hot bannya… and… sorry, I guess I’m tapped out of stories for this week.
But here’s a nice little gem from the 7th grade textbook I’m teaching out of. How many mistakes can you count!?

Comments on just a few of the problems I have with this table. First, why are monkeys and snakes the only animals that are plural here? Second, a pot flower? I don’t think we should be teaching children such slang. And third, and most concerning, why are the hedgehog, rat, elephant, and rhino categorized as Fish and reptiles? They no longer belong to the general animal population? And technically a whale is a mammal too, right? I’m pretty sure the biology teacher would agree with me here whether we’re speaking Russian or English.
Finally, here are some interesting cultural observations I’ve made since being here:
1) These people love to clap. If someone is performing – especially if they’re singing – everyone claps along. Then there are the awkward stops when the music changes tempo or something, but they just pick up right where they left off as soon as possible. Very persistent. I like that.
2) Also, all musical performances are sing-a-longs. No exceptions. (Jeffrey might have a hard time with that here )
3) “Did you just double dip?”You bet I did! No problem! And yet a lot of people are wearing masks to prevent getting Swine Flu (or any other sickness, I suppose). Hey guys, I’ve got another idea…
4) And speaking of eating – the table is just an extension of the plate, so go ahead and put your bread on the table without a napkin, or spit out your nasty meat pieces or grape seeds (Oh, how I miss seedless grapes!). The good news is, the table is constantly being wiped down. However, I can’t vouch for the cleanliness of the cloth.
5) So, you know how in America you would feel really weird if you wore the same thing to work 2 days in a row? Or even twice in one week? In Kazakhstan – no problem-o. Go ahead and wear the same outfit every day for a week. No one will care. I’ve noticed a few teachers here doing that. Other volunteers mentioned this before we came, but I had a hard time believing it! I think I could have packed lighter after all. Anyway, it’s nice because it certainly cuts down on the amount of laundry I have to do.
Ok, that’s all for now. Thank you for reading….yeah, that’s it! Move on with your internet-ing already! Gee! … … Ok, I feel like there’s some sort of pressure for me to include some nice, sentimental little Thanksgiving message – maybe a little reflection on the last few months and about how I’m grateful for the opportunities I’ve had here, the friendships I’ve made, my supportive family yadda yadda… I expect such things will pop up on my fellow volunteers’ blogs. After reading my friends’ blogs up till this point I feel like mine is a lot less serious than theirs. But you all know me! I’m not like that! Never was! So get over it and go eat your turkey leftovers.
Gobble, gobble
-Holly
4 comments:
Pot flower, huh? Just how did you tackle that one with a straight face? Thanks for the pictures! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!
I love the vocabulary list. I laughed and laughed. Yes a whale is a mammel. The Natural History Museum which I attended recently taught me that mammals have three things in common - 1. Hair 2. Mother's produce milk... and the 3rd which I did not know - we all have a special ear bone that amplifies sound. What's that? Ok, you must not be a mammal. I said A SPECIAL EAR BONE WHICH AMPLIFIES SOUND!! Ok, sorry, but thanks for the post and the pictures and the phone call! Yay! I'll send a package soon. (P.S. I'm thankful for specialized inner ear bones so I could hear your message. There - sentimental. DONE.)
Oh wait... I forgot to say - I love the hat! You can totally pull it off, you just have to own it. Walk proud.
Hey Holly! I'm glad that when I got a chance to get myself up-to-date on your blog you had a lot of stuff on there and that you are doing so great. We will definitely be sending you a package! :)
I was telling Seamus about your posts and he agrees with me that you are totally awesome.
Post a Comment