Saturday, October 31, 2009

Well, I guess I'm a volunteer now...

Live in a random village on the other side of the world for 10 weeks: check.
No shower: check.
Use a squat toilet on a daily basis: check.
Teach 4th graders about animals in English: check.
Train teachers to do what you've been doing for only 7 weeks: check.
Learn a new language (or try anyway): check.
Do a community project (or try anyway): check.
Make new awesome friends!: check.

And what do you have.... a Peace Corps volunteer! Yeah, that's right, we officially swore in as volunteers today, so I am no longer just a trainee. So now I'm chilling until tomorrow when I get on a train for 27 hours to head to my new home - Krasney Yar. My counterpart called me this afternoon to congratulate me and let me know that all the teachers are excited to have me and looking forward to meeting me next week. And I'm excited to meet them too! I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes...

1 comment:

Tyrel & Suzi said...

My favorite part about your life is the squat toilet. You are crazy. That is all! Hope you are well.